Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Colour

A lesson in colour and big prints today.
This is a quilt I am making for  a birthday gift. I am using some Jane Sassaman fabric I bought a few years ago when I had an injured shoulder and could not sew. It made me feel good to have the fabric in my house. 


But now I have to use it.

The 12" blocks are easy and simple and hopefully will make a cuddly warm quilt.
The sashing is the next move- yellow seems to be the colour of choice, I have 3 more large blocks to make. It also needs some blue( dark ). The Sassaman fabric is just lovely but somewhat difficult to use as most of them are large prints. The green is a bit overwhelming at the moment, maybe it needs to be toned down a bit. It looked better when all the fabrics were laid out on the bench.
Yes I should have thought it all out a bit better before I started, I can always make more blocks and make another quilt- there is enough fabric!
 The hand dyed is Lisa Walton.
Some funky sashing and a nice border?  the birthday is August 8th so I am on a tight deadline.
It also needs more orange, might have to mull over it a bit tomorrow on my day off -maybe some pink/red as well. It will be 20 blocks, maybe enough left over for a lap quilt.
Colour is so fickle when you are tired
Hopefully it will be ready for quiting by the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. Decisions, decisions, decisions. I'm sure you will come up with the right one Jane. Love the fabrics. Yes, a little dark blue would look great. You have a good eye for colour.

    ReplyDelete