Sunday, April 2, 2017

Cactus


Following the class with Sophie Standing a few weeks ago, I decided to try my hand at a small cactus textile embroidery. My daughter is a Landscape Architect, and is fond of succulents, so it was an easy choice.
The canvas is left over from my starfish. I found a free picture on line and then started playing.

The colours are what I had on hand, some fabric is better than others for this kind of work, the printed florals are good to work with. 

I spent a lot of today stitching, its surprising how much thread it used up, I worked this out by having to wind another bobbin, then another!
 The first stitching started.

The back, as always interesting,  I wonder should I use the back instead of the front?


 Partly stitched, it is looking better with the shading and colour.

The finished product.


 Stapled to a canvas frame. Wrapping around the edges is meant to be for this project. A bit of a steep learning curve, but I am improving with the shading.. 
Perhaps I should have gone to art school and not nursing school?? 
So much more art to make......

2 comments:

  1. Looks great Jane. Perhaps a new direction for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to seeing it in the flesh!

    ReplyDelete